|How to Contribute|
The Blue River Community Foundation provides you a simple, powerful and highly personal approach to giving. We offer a variety of giving tools to help people achieve their charitable goals. You can make a gift of cash, stocks, bonds, real estate, or other assets to the Foundation. Most charitable gifts qualify for maximum tax advantages under federal law.
Because each donor has unique circumstances, and unique charitable goals, the Foundation offers several giving options. In considering these options, your first decision will be whether to give to an existing fund or to establish a new fund.
Giving to an Existing Fund
The Foundation holds a number of funds that have already been established by other donors. Some of these funds were established to serve particular charitable causes, some to award scholarships and others to meet changing community needs as they arise over time. To see a list of these funds and the purposes for which each was established, click here.
Once you have selected a fund, simply indicate the name of the fund to which you would like to apply your gift, either in a note or on the memo line of your check. We will take care of the rest, and will send you an acknowledgment for tax purposes.
You may wish to make your gift in memory or in honor of someone. In that case, please include the name of the person in whose memory or honor your gift is made. We will send you an acknowledgment, and will also send a note to the person you have honored, or to the family of the person in whose memory your gift was made. This note indicates that a gift was made, in whose memory or honor the gift was made, and by whom it was made. If you prefer that your gift be anonymous, just let us know.
Establishing a New Fund
If you would like to establish a new fund, please call the staff at the Foundation at 317-392-7955. They will walk you through the process. The basic steps to the process are as follows:
- Contact the Foundation staff to discuss your gift and your fund.
- You can give cash, appreciated stocks, real estate, or other assets.
- The Foundation sets up a special fund in your name, in the name of your family or business, or in honor of any person or organization you choose.
- You receive tax benefits in the year your gift is made.
- Based on the type of fund you establish, you may be able to stay involved in the good works your gift makes possible. You can recommend an area or organization you'd like your gift to support, or rely on the Foundation's experienced program staff, Grant-making Committee and Board to determine and address the areas of greatest need in our community.
- The Grant-making Committee recommends grants to the Board according to the type of fund you have chosen, and the Board awards grants in the name of the fund you establish (or if you prefer, grants can be made anonymously).
- The Foundation staff handles the administrative details.
- Your gift can be placed into an endowment that is invested over time. Earnings from your fund are used to make grants addressing community needs. Your gift - and all future earnings from your gift - is a permanent source of community capital, helping do good work forever.
Click below to learn more about...
charitable funds - the types of funds available.
charitable assets - what you can give.
making gifts of grain - detailed information